Thursday, April 5, 2012

Of Puzzle Pieces and Memories

A few weeks before Keith died, our preacher, Mike, preached a sermon involving puzzle pieces and wholeness in the body of Christ.  It touched Keith deeply.  He set his puzzle piece on the makeshift desk he had on the main floor.  It was constantly in view during the last weeks of his life.

We buried that puzzle piece in the time capsule we created for him.

I have thought of that puzzle piece often over the past 4 1/2 years, nearly every time I find a stray piece around the house.  Keith still thought of himself as a viable piece of the body, even as an ill man, weak and at home.  And he was.

Even in death, my faithful husband was, and is, a piece of the puzzle.  There are still the fingerprints of his work at our church, and at his office.  And definitely here at home, in us.  I am a better mother, daughter, and child of God from having been married to this Godly man.

Since Keith's passing I have often thought of my own contribution as a puzzle piece.  How do I "fit" now that he is not here?  My puzzle is jumbled and I can't seem to find where the edges meet.

I don't fit as a wife any more.
Yet I am an important part of the puzzle.
I don't fit in the couples' gatherings any more.
Yet I am an important piece in the puzzle.
I don't fit with the women talking about the husbands (or complaining about them).
Yet I am an important part of the puzzle.
I don't fit in at boy scout meetings or with the soccer coaches.
Yet I am an important part of the puzzle.

When doing a large puzzle, if I have trouble finding where a piece goes, I try turning it, looking in a new section of the puzzle.  That is what I need to do with this new life.  I may not fit in the old places where the puzzle piece went, but I need to find new ones.

And the cool thing is that the Master of the Puzzle will give me insight as to where that is.

Here is the lesson I take from Keith's life:  puzzle pieces have a purpose, they complete things.  If I neglect to add my piece to the puzzle, it is incomplete, not what it was intended to be.

I can't help but think of my own contribution as a puzzle piece.  Can God's fingerprints be seen as clearly on me?  I pray so!

I also think about the Puzzle Piece of Eternity, our Risen Lord. 

By His death, we are healed.  By His stripes, we can forgo ours.  By His love, we have eternity waiting.  Praise Him for His indescribable gift!

1 comment:

  1. This is beautiful, friend. You ARE a very important puzzle piece. I just began Sally Clarkson's "Mission of Motherhood" study here (http://momheart.org/blog/welcome-to-the-mission-of-motherhood-book-study) and she talks about that in her intro video. God has great purpose for you in the lives of those boys. You are the only puzzle piece that fits the role of Mom. Thank you for showing us God's heart for us through your writing.

    ReplyDelete