Sunday, February 10, 2013

A Clean House

Yesterday was the big winter cleaning of our house.  You can probably hear my boys groan from there.  They have good reason for groaning.

It is usually a painful day...for a very good reason.

I will never win any housekeeping awards.

I have the best intentions, but...

Life gets in the way.  Homeschooling, my activities, the boys' activities, sports, travel...many things are more exciting and enjoyable, to our way of thinking, than cleaning the house.

Oh, we fake a good game.

If you have been over, you may not realize just how messy we really are.  There's a reason for that, too.  We tend to clean the main floor only, and only do cursory cleaning anywhere else.  (By the way, don't try to go up the stairs to my bedroom without an invitation...I might have to tackle you!)

Aren't we like that with our faith, too?

We put up a front...pretending we are fine, clean on the inside and out, while really we are stressed and hurting.  We stumble along, ignoring the relief that could be ours in the form of friends who sincerely desire help us...all in the name of appearances.

A different kind of white-washed tomb...but just as deadly, to my way of thinking.

Aren't we called to be here to share in community?  Do we think all our friends are perfect, with no problems?  Don't we want to assist them with whatever is going on?  Don't we get joy from helping them?

Didn't Jesus accept from others all the time, as an itinerant preacher, even as He gave?

I tell you the truth...one of the best parts of this widow-walk is the closeness that comes from needing others.  I have learned, albeit painfully, that no man (or woman) is an island...nor should they be. 

There is a divine dependence that comes from walking this walk...and it truly is a beautiful thing. 

There is no way on God's green earth that I can do all the stuff I need to do on my own.  And in that statement, I am freed from trying...from trying to be perfect, from trying to be all things to all people, from trying to walk alone.

And that's a truth I need to remember each and every day.

"Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.  I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing." -- John 15:4-5

No comments:

Post a Comment