Thursday, December 13, 2012

In the Pink

This morning I got up extra early to work on getting our day together.  I knew we had a lot on our plate:
  • hair cuts
  • Christmas crafts for relatives
  • Christmas cards
  • Christmas baking
  • youth band practice
Not to mention:
  • house cleaning for our weekend company
  • homeschooling
  • the 5-6 loads of laundry (I have lost count) that are on my bed to fold
Too much for one day!  I hurriedly complete my Bible study (sorry, Beth) and start on the planning of this hairy day.  The Amy Grant song I Need A Silent Night ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRSSsNbF29I) is running through my mind.

I endeavor to persevere.  I plan the day down to the moments and get ready for the boys to get up so we can hit the ground running.

Then...

Jackson gets up and comes down...he's got pink eye.

Ugh.

Now, this was not entirely unexpected.  I had started my day Tuesday with a run to the doc-in-the-box around the corner from the house with Tanner..  Since then, we have been washing hands furiously and peeking at everyone's eyelids.

I thought we had dodged the bullet this time, and that Tanner was going to be the only one down with it.  Nope.

Next, checked Alex's eyelids...pink eye starting there, too.  Matthew...same scenario.

Obviously my carefully planned schedule is out the window.  Regroup, regroup...

And someone (Someone?) has just turned up the volume of Amy Grant in my ear...

I've done it again, haven't I, Lord?

Single parenthood is never easy, but especially not if you try to be Supermom, creating the best. Christmas. ever.

I know better than this!  Really, I do!

Yet it happens again and again that I get myself too deeply planned, too tightly stretched...

Not good for anyone.

And that is when God steps in...and gives me a time out...this time in the form of pink eye.

Instead of the crazy rushing around, my day now involves movies and jammies and an afternoon nap...and maybe some of those Christmas crafts and that laundry to fold.

Sorry, Lord, for doing it again...and again...and again.

Thanks, Lord, for loving me enough to get me out of my stress-mess via a time out.

Now I have to check my own eyelids...praying that other shoe does not fall.

"For My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways My ways,” declares the Lord.  “As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways and My thoughts than your thoughts." - Isaiah 55:8-9

No comments:

Post a Comment